Lin­ux­u­la­tor progress

This week­end I made some progress in the lin­ux­u­la­tor:

  • I MFCed the report­ing of some linux-syscalls to 9‑stable and 8‑stable.
  • I updat­ed my lin­ux­u­la­tor-dtrace patch to a recent ‑cur­rent. I already com­piled it on i386 and arundel@ has it com­piled on amd64. I count­ed more than 500 new DTrace probes. Now that DTrace res­cans for SDT probes when a ker­nel mod­ule is loaded, there is no ker­nel pan­ic any­more when the lin­ux mod­ule is loaded after the DTrace mod­ules and you want to use DTrace. I try to com­mit this at a morn­ing of a day where I can fix things dur­ing the day in case some prob­lems show up which I did not notice dur­ing my test­ing.
  • I cre­at­ed a PR for portmgr@ to repocopy a new linux_base port.
  • I set the expi­ra­tion date of linux_base-fc4 (only used by 7.x and upstream way past its EoL) and all depen­dent ports. It is set to the EoL of the last 7.x release, which can not use a lat­er linux_base port. I also added a com­ment which explains that the date is the EoL of the last 7.x release.
Send to Kin­dle

v4l sup­port in the lin­ux­u­la­tor MFCed to 8‑stable

I merged the v4l trans­la­tion lay­er into the lin­ux­u­la­tor of 8-sta­ble. As in -cur­rent, this just means that lin­ux apps (like Skype) can now use FreeB­SD native devices which con­form to the v4l ABI. The port multimedia/webcamd pro­vides access to some web­cams (or DVB hard­ware) via the v4l ABI.

Peo­ple which want to test the lin­ux­u­la­tor part should first make sure a native FreeB­SD appli­ca­tion has no prob­lem access­ing the device.

Send to Kin­dle