In the last days I spend my free time with mentoring Boris and the SoC students. Boris is maybe ready to fly solo now (and he already got implicit aproval for several things from me), but I will keep an eye on him from time to time for some more weeks.
The linuxolator SoC project progresses faster now. We may have support for TLS, TID and futexes in the comming week (this should allow us to run FC4/FC5 with a linux kernel version of 2.6.x, time will tell).
In the sound SoC project, Ryan created an user repository. He is more comfortable with committing “micro-changes” to the user branch first to not spam the perforce mailinglist. I don’t think this matters, but when he feels more comfortable this way, I don’t object. This makes it a little bit harder for me to follow, but I will nag him more often for a status report then.
I also MFCed the fixes for Oracle 10, it should work on 6-stable too now.
Since Roman wanted to create his linuxolator branch in perforce, I had to make myself familiar with perforce too, to be able to answer his questions. I learned my first steps in perforce by creating the sound branch (I’m mentoring Ryan together with Ariff). Creating the branch was not hard, but I managed to fail in some way… I used the wrong username part for Ryan’s branch name (“rbeasley” instead of “ryanb”). I think this means I shouldn’t trust my memory and double-check such facts in the future. Since it’s only a namespace issue to not have conflicts when several people want to create branches with the same name (but a different semantic of what has to be done there), I don’t think it matters.
Roman hadn’t as much “luck” than I had. He forgot to add a ‘/’ in an important place which resulted in files like “…_linuxolatoramd64/…” instead of “…_linuxolator/amd64/…” while branching. While ICQ is nice to discuss something in real-time over large distances, you can’t look over the shoulder of someone. Mea culpa (students which are excited and eager to try something… I think I remember how this feels 😉 ). He is resolving this as I write this.
While I see some benefits in the way perforce is working (seems to allow some powerful things we can’t do with CVS), I have to say the performance sucks when creating branches (I did it at home via DSL and a compressed ssh tunnel to the perforce server, not on freefall where it should have been much faster). But I didn’t created a FreeBSD branch with CVS, so maybe CVS sucks more when doing this. 🙂