Last week I had a look if there are some news for an official update of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 to ICS. To my surprise there is one at least in Italy. The one I found to download was marked more or less for the European market. Well… that was good enough for me and the night from Friday to Saturday I have spend to update the Tab by hand (unfortunately this includes a factory reset, no smooth migration from an old version, but at least I still have root access).
What I noticed so far:
- OpenGL ES speed improved from 4.2 to 6.6 FPS.
- I had some lock-ups so far, I do not know if this may be related to some restored data (app data and e.g. Bluetooth/WLAN config restored with TitaniumBackup) or to bugs (Dalvik cache and cache partition where clean, factory reset was done too prior to restoring from the backup). I had to press the power button for some seconds to initiate a reboot. Most of the time it helped to wait a minute before entering the PIN for the SIM. One time it did not help at all, the only way to get it working was to take my WLAN Access Point (AP) offline, start the Tab, enter the PIN, and to restart the AP. At that point I had GPS and WLAN in the Tab activated, in the lock-ups before I did not have GPS active. I had something similar like this with my Nexus S when it got ICS, somehow this resolved itself. Update 2012-08-14: I googled a bit, there was a bug in ICS 4.0.3 related to WLAN, but I have 4.0.4 on the Tab, so this may not be this. I also got the freeze without WLAN but with the mobile data connection active. 2nd update 2012-08-14: If I disable account syncing with the mobile data connection it does not freeze. I have not yet tried this with the WLAN connection. Update 2012-08-16: The synchronization of the calendar data caused the problem. Deleting all data for any app with calendar in the name and re-syncing fixed the problem. No freeze since I did this yesterday.
- When I open/close a folder (much missed feature in Android 3.x), the Tab speaks with me (something like “Folder XXX opened” in the configured language… that is a bit annoying).
- I like the default background image.
- Update 2012-08-14: The battery icon does stay green even when the battery is nearly empty. 🙁
I was not able to test the Email APP yet, I am waiting for a warranty-replacement of the PSU of my server at home (Murphy’s law: Your PSU will break when you just started a big renovation of your kitchen and do not have time to take care about it, and when you get time a lot of people from the PSU-manufacturer which take care about warranty-replacements are in holiday).
I also need to check the mobile data connectivity (quality and speed), but I would expect that it is not worse than before. Update 2012-08-14: The download speed test shows similar results than before, the upload speed test is slower, but this may be the mobile network here where I tested. At least I can confirm that it works, modulo the problem of the freezes described above.