I’m busy with non-FreeBSD related stuff since a while, so there’s not much to say.
RealPlayer: Shaun, the FreeBSD maintainer of the helixplayer port, promised to polish up a patchset when he gets time to port helixplayer to a more recent version and send it to the corresponding helix community (requested by some people at Real after showing them the patches via cvsweb). Their review and integration of this stuff will help in getting a RealPlayer binary from Real.
Sound: The work of Ariff (and every other contributor) in the HDA area seems to be very appreciated. There are aven voices asking for a MFC. I don’t think we will get it for 6.2. It’s too late in the release process and Ariff seems to be busy.
Sound2: Ryan committed a fix to P4 which should provide some missing stuff to some breaking ports. If someone has time to commit it…
Linux: A lot of progress happened here. The longstanding major bug on amd64 is fixed and MFCed (thanks to kib!), so we finally got some results for the amd64 runs of the LTP testcases (now color coded to spot problems much faster). The status of the stable run is already on the wiki page (but this is without the MFC). Runs on current (2.4.2 and 2.6.16 based emulation) and stable after the MFC where already done, but I didn’t got time to wiki-fy their status yet.
Ports: I already have an update for my sylpheed-claws port to 2.6.0 together with a move to LOCALBASE (including the plugin ports) available, but I have to wait until the ports-slush is lifted.
Since Roman wanted to create his linuxolator branch in perforce, I had to make myself familiar with perforce too, to be able to answer his questions. I learned my first steps in perforce by creating the sound branch (I’m mentoring Ryan together with Ariff). Creating the branch was not hard, but I managed to fail in some way… I used the wrong username part for Ryan’s branch name (“rbeasley” instead of “ryanb”). I think this means I shouldn’t trust my memory and double-check such facts in the future. Since it’s only a namespace issue to not have conflicts when several people want to create branches with the same name (but a different semantic of what has to be done there), I don’t think it matters.
Roman hadn’t as much “luck” than I had. He forgot to add a ‘/’ in an important place which resulted in files like “…_linuxolatoramd64/…” instead of “…_linuxolator/amd64/…” while branching. While ICQ is nice to discuss something in real-time over large distances, you can’t look over the shoulder of someone. Mea culpa (students which are excited and eager to try something… I think I remember how this feels 😉 ). He is resolving this as I write this.
While I see some benefits in the way perforce is working (seems to allow some powerful things we can’t do with CVS), I have to say the performance sucks when creating branches (I did it at home via DSL and a compressed ssh tunnel to the perforce server, not on freefall where it should have been much faster). But I didn’t created a FreeBSD branch with CVS, so maybe CVS sucks more when doing this. 🙂