The power supply of my server at home failed at the end of last month. As I was busy with renovation at home, it took me a while to check if it is really the PSU or something else. When I was sure about the failed piece, I have sent the PSU to the RMA address the Enermax support gave me (the PSU has a 5 year warranty, and I have it since one year). Due to holidays it took a while to get the repaired unit back, but I want to say thank you to the Enermax support:
- Thank you for hand written responses, I did not get obvious automatic responses or canned responses (well, maybe they did some copy&paste for the RMA address and such, but each mail had at least a part which was not coming from copy&paste).
- Thank you for getting back to me within a reasonable time.
- Thank you for politely answering all my support requests.
- Thank you for being honest in your communication (slow handling of the repair due to people being in holiday, not because of missing pieces from suppliers or other excuses outside Enermax).
This is how the support shall be, unfortunately this is not always the case, but at least here it was. Thank you!
In the review of the Email app of Android 3.2, I complained that the message-list moves in a way that the selected message is in the first place of the message-list. This was annoying for my workflow. In the Android 4.0.4 app (at least as it comes from Samsung for the Galaxy Tab 10.1) this changed so that it is the second item in the list in some circumstances (this does not happen always). This is better (somewhat acceptable) for my workflow, but still, I would prefer if it is at least configurable. Do not move the list when I select a message, except for making a partially visible list-item completely visible.
The other point I did not like about the 3.2‑app was the folder list moved so that the inbox is first when returning to the list. Thank god this changed too.
The two big disappointing points I had about this app are mostly fixed in the ICS version.
The geosmart plugin is incompatible with the one-time-password (OTP) plugin of WordPress. The problem is that the OTP plugin does not display the challenge on the login page anymore when the geosmart plugin is activated.
A work around may be to make sure the geosmart plugin does not do something on the login page, but this incompatibility could also cause problems somewhere else.
The problem could be related to the way the geosmart plugin uses jquery. I found a bug report for OTP where the problem was the jquery handling in another plugin. The specific problem mentioned there does not seem to be the same as in the geosmart plugin, at least on the very quick look I had.
So… for now I disabled the geosmart plugin, most of the time I guessed the sequence number right, but sometimes I did not.
Last week I had a look if there are some news for an official update of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 to ICS. To my surprise there is one at least in Italy. The one I found to download was marked more or less for the European market. Well… that was good enough for me and the night from Friday to Saturday I have spend to update the Tab by hand (unfortunately this includes a factory reset, no smooth migration from an old version, but at least I still have root access).
What I noticed so far:
- OpenGL ES speed improved from 4.2 to 6.6 FPS.
- I had some lock-ups so far, I do not know if this may be related to some restored data (app data and e.g. Bluetooth/WLAN config restored with TitaniumBackup) or to bugs (Dalvik cache and cache partition where clean, factory reset was done too prior to restoring from the backup). I had to press the power button for some seconds to initiate a reboot. Most of the time it helped to wait a minute before entering the PIN for the SIM. One time it did not help at all, the only way to get it working was to take my WLAN Access Point (AP) offline, start the Tab, enter the PIN, and to restart the AP. At that point I had GPS and WLAN in the Tab activated, in the lock-ups before I did not have GPS active. I had something similar like this with my Nexus S when it got ICS, somehow this resolved itself. Update 2012-08-14: I googled a bit, there was a bug in ICS 4.0.3 related to WLAN, but I have 4.0.4 on the Tab, so this may not be this. I also got the freeze without WLAN but with the mobile data connection active. 2nd update 2012-08-14: If I disable account syncing with the mobile data connection it does not freeze. I have not yet tried this with the WLAN connection. Update 2012-08-16: The synchronization of the calendar data caused the problem. Deleting all data for any app with calendar in the name and re-syncing fixed the problem. No freeze since I did this yesterday.
- When I open/close a folder (much missed feature in Android 3.x), the Tab speaks with me (something like “Folder XXX opened” in the configured language… that is a bit annoying).
- I like the default background image.
- Update 2012-08-14: The battery icon does stay green even when the battery is nearly empty. 🙁
I was not able to test the Email APP yet, I am waiting for a warranty-replacement of the PSU of my server at home (Murphy’s law: Your PSU will break when you just started a big renovation of your kitchen and do not have time to take care about it, and when you get time a lot of people from the PSU-manufacturer which take care about warranty-replacements are in holiday).
I also need to check the mobile data connectivity (quality and speed), but I would expect that it is not worse than before. Update 2012-08-14: The download speed test shows similar results than before, the upload speed test is slower, but this may be the mobile network here where I tested. At least I can confirm that it works, modulo the problem of the freezes described above.