Since Roman wanted to create his linuxolator branch in perforce, I had to make myself familiar with perforce too, to be able to answer his questions. I learned my first steps in perforce by creating the sound branch (I’m mentoring Ryan together with Ariff). Creating the branch was not hard, but I managed to fail in some way… I used the wrong username part for Ryan’s branch name (“rbeasley” instead of “ryanb”). I think this means I shouldn’t trust my memory and double-check such facts in the future. Since it’s only a namespace issue to not have conflicts when several people want to create branches with the same name (but a different semantic of what has to be done there), I don’t think it matters.
Roman hadn’t as much “luck” than I had. He forgot to add a „/“ in an important place which resulted in files like “…_linuxolatoramd64/…” instead of “…_linuxolator/amd64/…” while branching. While ICQ is nice to discuss something in real-time over large distances, you can’t look over the shoulder of someone. Mea culpa (students which are excited and eager to try something… I think I remember how this feels 😉 ). He is resolving this as I write this.
While I see some benefits in the way perforce is working (seems to allow some powerful things we can’t do with CVS), I have to say the performance sucks when creating branches (I did it at home via DSL and a compressed ssh tunnel to the perforce server, not on freefall where it should have been much faster). But I didn’t created a FreeBSD branch with CVS, so maybe CVS sucks more when doing this.